17,250 Floating solar panels in the Kempen region

Posted on 11 Sep 2020

Floating PV is the first floating solar park in Flanders. With 17,250 solar panels, it is also the largest in Belgium. The solar park is ten football pitches in size and contains various innovative technologies, such as double-sided solar panels.   

The solar panels not only absorb sunlight from above, but also reflection from the surface of the water. As a result, they have a higher efficiency. On hot days, there is even an extra yield of 5% because the solar park is located on the water.   

The solar park floats on the 'De Schans' sand pit on the border of Dessel and Mol. Sibelco, LRM, Group Machiels and Luminus have realised this together.   

With the start-up of Floating PV, the Sibelco factory in Dessel is running for 55 percent on renewable electricity generated by sun and wind. With this, we are already a long way ahead of the Sibelco Group's Global Sustainability Objectives in Dessel, whereby each site must run on at least 20% renewable energy by 2025".

20% green electricity on the grid 

The solar park must produce 7 GWh of green electricity per year, equivalent to the annual consumption of 2,000 households. 80% of the energy produced is used by dredging or pumping the quartz sand and drying and grinding the sand. The remaining 20% is put on the electricity grid.   

The construction of Floating PV started in March and was not delayed despite the corona crisis. All technical connections will be completed this month and in October the solar park will start producing its first green electricity.

Source:

https://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20200908_94740097/floating-pv-is-eerste-drijvend-zonnepark-in-vlaanderen-een-heel-belangrijk-project 
 

Other interesting articles

ArcelorMittal is looking for a partner for (residential) heat grid in or around North Sea Port

Posted on 15 Sep 2020

Gust'eaux/BOSAQ: a glass of domestic water

Posted on 22 Jun 2020

Climate solutions can encumber the biobased cycle

Posted on 19 May 2020